Friday, December 2

Donald Miller


"I could not have known then that everybody, every person, has to leave, has to change like the seasons; they have to or they die. The seasons remind me that I must keep changing, and I want to change because it is God's way. All of life I have been changing...Everybody has to change, or they expire. Everybody has to leave, everybody has to leave their home and come back so they can love it again for all new reasons. I want to keep my soul fertile for the changes, so things keep getting born in me, so things keep dying when it is time for things to die. I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago, because a mind was made to figure things out, not to read the same page recurrently. Only the good stories have the characters different at the end than they were at the beginning. And the closest thing I can liken life to is a book..."

4 Comments:

Blogger Curt Hampton said...

I've gotta join this guys fan club or something. I've been hearing all these great things about Miller and even recently received an article about him over email. I've not read his stuff yet but the tidbits I hear are all very interesting. I love this qoute because it's totally affirming of the craziness that is going on in my life right now. You know how it is, living overseas, trying to do community, trying to stay sane in a different culture. Blah, blah, blah...

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to check this one out.

Another of his books, Blue Like Jazz, is great. Cru packed it in their Freshman Survival Kits. We didn't manage to give all the kits away, so I took a copy.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and understand how it fits in the FSKs. In BLJ, Miller explains his journey to faith by being authentic and, in many ways, vulnerable. This allows him to meet the unbeliever where they are without compromising the good news as some are prone to do. The sub-title of the book is "Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality."

After reading it, I gave it to a non-practicing Moslem I met on a flight to Amsterdam.

2:17 PM  
Blogger joshlangston said...

b.t.w. this book used to be called 'Prayer and the art of Volkwagen Maintenance' it was the first book he wrote (before Blue Like Jazz) and it wasn't that good; i think he just took it and rewrote it in his new-found popular style, hope it's better this time around. i used to have a copy of a couple of his books...i don't know where they are...last saw 'em in Paris...

11:13 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

dear joshua...those books you referenced were brought back to the states in Melissa's care, FYI. and, Yes, He did do a re-wite b/c the original publishing omitted lots of things that he felt were key to the story...it's not an athority on "christian theoloretical church planting and evangelism" and does not claim to be....but it is an interesting read :)

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home