Monday, March 21

that one is wet...

Every monday night I go to a bible study on the other side of Paris that takes almost 2 get there by public transit. We change trains twice and one of the lines decided to only run two train per hour...during rush hour, so this means it is going to be crowded. We tried to find a train with relatively few people on it since we still had about 20 min. until the train left...once on a car I spotted 4 open seats, so I quickly pushed my way through and told my friends to follow. After sitting down and claiming my prize...I begin to realize in fact why those particular seats were still empty on such a full train-- THEY WERE WET...and upon further inspection the liquid had not only soaked through the cloth seats, but there was a puddle on the floor in front with a yellow tint. Yikes. I had sat just long enough for it to soak all the way through. Needless to say at this point we returned to stand in the open area. The train continued to fill up and there was a couple, literally right beside me, that was making out like they are the only people around...it was so hot and stuffy that at this point I broke out in a sweat and had no access to fresh air...and when trains get this full you are literally pressed up against everyone and this man next to me decided that this would be a fun time to test his limits by getting closer than necessary and doing everything he could to let me know he was interested...let's just say that by the time we arrived at our destintion I was almost in tears. We met up with another friend on the next train and after I told her about the strange liquid I had sat in, she offered to smell it for me just so I would know if for sure if it had been urine...so in the train station we tried to be discreet as she bend down to sniff my behind, yes, it was very awkward, and no, we did not fool anyone. She confirmed my suspicions...at which point I almost cried again as I though about how groos that is to sit in...anyway, thankfully when we finally arrived at the house I was able to borrow some pants and get mine washed before starting the trek home. Needless to say it was quite an eventful evening and quite a few other things happened but I am too tired to write now. But really, who are these people who would think it is okay to pee on a train seat?! Somedays I just can't take any more "cultural" adjustments.

5 Comments:

Blogger ELS Houston said...

hey bethany-
i'm visting upon the instruction of my little sister amanda herrington. i've browsed a little bit, and because of your clever storytelling, look forward to reading future posts. two years in paris?! you're gonna rock out!

i was in paris last week with a friend. love it. love it every time. actuellement, i'm living in lourdes in the pyrénées dans le sud, but i get to make pas mal de voyages since i get the same vacances as every other employee of l'Education Nationale. unfortunately heading back stateside come summer.

hope you are well and that your time here/there is fulfilling.
peace and hair grease,
nathan

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

B-

So sorry to hear of the terrible train ride. I can only think... you will laugh about this in the future?? :) If only I could be there to play Mancala with you! Love you girl!

erinf

11:50 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks for the friendly support...and I was able to laugh about it quickly afterwards, what else can you do?! Also, thanks for the comments Nathan...your sister is a lot of fun! If you are in Paris again let me know and I can show you some of the sights...enjoy France. Peace out.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

I'm so sorry for your travel horror, Bethany. (But I have to admit that while I was reading, I laughed hysterically.) Keep it real, Sweetums.

1:44 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

UPDATE...we are dog sitting this week, and this morning when I woke up I thought I smelled something odd...and after looking closely I realized that YESTERDAY he peed on my bed in 3 different places...which means that this is the crulest week ever, because now I slept on dog pee!!!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home