Monday, March 13


Saturday WAS indeed a great day. We set off to Chartres, home to the largest and best maintained cathedral in Europe (pictured above). It was impressive, but I am still not sure why such a huge cathedral was built in such a small town...why not build this one in, say, Paris? hmmm, anyway...after exploring a bit we got out the map and decided that of our choices (heading north, south or east) north seemed most interesting because it was a road less traveled. We stopped in the small, suprisingly modern, town of Dreux for lunch. We ended up in a restaurant that was on par with every ultra-trendy gourmet spot in London (and just to prove how much I belonged in there, I appalled our waiter by accidentally dropping a chunk of my expertly grilled salmon in my tinted crystal glass- Pretty Woman style). Our journey continued up through Evreux and eventually led us to Rouen - where Joan of Arc (as we say in English) was burned at the stake. It was a little anti-climactic to come up out of the parking garage and see the sign (below) indicating that we had literally parked under the historical spot. But we stayed to see the church they built there in her honor, did some shopping, and ended the day with a lovely cup of hot chocolate and a plate of petite fours. More pictures can be seen by clicking here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great trip! Keep your notes; I want to head that way someday soon. I miss you, friend! God-willing, I'll see you in August!!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the photos! I want to see Chartres someday. The Jeanne d'Arc church was pretty cool too.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

over 12,500 people have visited your site! How do you feel? -v

10:08 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

like a trip to Disney World...

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home