Monday, October 10

Tears of the Giraffe

I am currently reading a series of books, "The 1 Ladies Detective Agency", and in the second book (title noted above) the main character, Mma Rabotswe, a traditionally built African woman, shares her thoughts...
"It was all part of this terrible attack on people by those who had nothing better to do than to give advice on all sorts of subjects. These people, who wrote in newspapers and talked on the radio, were full of good ideas as to how to make people better...They looked at what you were eating and told you it was bad for you...and to make matters worse, they often said that if you did not heed their warnings, you would die...There were two main targets, she thought. First were the fat people, who were now getting quite used to a relentless campaign against them; and then there were men."

I agree with her assessment, but dare say she overlooked another group of people constantly being attacked by those who think they can make your life better: single people.

Since it seems that while in your early twenties there are few topics that occupy an equal amount of time, it is sufficient to say that I have had my fair share of conversations on the subjects of dating, love, and marriage. I have also seen a ridiculous amount of media and books devoted to the subjects, reducing it to a science of finding the right person, keeping them, feeling like your life has started once you are in a relationship...etc.

I feel like one of the few, who somehow is over two years out of the college scene, without any current romantic ties. I know that most of you reading this do not fall in the same category...you are seriously dating, happily married, pregnant, or already a family...but I just need to publicly declare that we have spent too little time talking about the benefits of being happy on your own. Single.

I am not going to get on a soap box against dating, or say that I think I am better off alone, or even say that there are not times when I long for companionship (...mostly this comes when I see all the people making out by the Eiffel Tower, or strolling along in the romantic parts of the city...) I like men and am not trying to scare off any potential suitors. I just want to say that I like who I am right now.

Maybe it is because I am fiercely independent and like to do things my way, maybe I have a fear of being hurt again, or maybe it is because it was asked to give up dating for these two years to focus on my work...I am not certain of the reason, but I am glad.

And realizing this has made me wonder...does this mean I am a freak for not doing what it seems everyone else is doing at my age? does this mean I am going to be single for the rest of my life? does this mean I have believed the lie for years that I cannot be truly happy until I am loved by the right man? --Maybe. But I dare say that it has little to do with me being abnormal (no laughs please)...and everything to do with learning to walk in the plans God has for my life. If He desires for me to marry, then I will be most grateful. But what I want most of all is a life that is pleasing to Him, full of peace in my heart, come what may.

So, let the attack cease. You heard it here folks, singleness is a good thing.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know Bethany reminds me:

Young lady goes to a wedding and all her relatives and friends come up to her, nudging her, asking "you next, huh, you next??"... My advise to her is the next funeral she attends she ought to seek out all those people that kept nudging her at the wedding and start nudging them asking "you next, huh, you next??" !!

o~\o

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for saying exactly what I've been thinking. :) Can't wait to come visit again soon!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this post Bethany! It is so true- even my students don't understand why I am not married or dating someone? They write in their Journals- when I am 20 I want to be married and living a 'happy life'. (They are 10-12 years old now) I tell them 'DON'T DO IT!'... not that being married at 20 is a bad thing (I don't know... didn't do it) but being single after college is such a neat experience to be able to be about the Lord's business without any other responsiblity- what a blessing. I think I have learned and grown so much by being single- It has made me rely upon the Lord and not a man. The Lord has truely become my strength and my joy- those are not found by getting married. I am not against marriage by any means... I think it is a great thing! But, I am just saying too personally- I have loved being single right now and truely understand why I am single right now. For real... all you married people- quit asking us when we will get married... don't worry- you will get an invitation to the wedding. Don't you think we will want to tell the whole world? Anyway- Bethany, Congrats on the 1 year mark! You look like you are having an amazing adventure in Paris!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Katie B said...

Bethany,
I was so happy to see you express this. I was going to say, "Preach it", but someone already took that line. I always find it interesting that people ask, "Why haven't you married yet?" I always laugh, cuz how do you answer that? If you figure out a clever way, let me know.
Just for the record, singleness in your twenties is only special when you are not longing for the "green" grass on the other side to make you whole. Sadly, there are lots of bitter singles--I am so thankful you are not one of them!
Love,
Katie B.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Bethany...when you're 33 and still single, we'll talk. At this point the question is no longer, "When are you getting married?" It's "What's wrong with you that you're not married?"

1:04 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Amen! I have to hear almost everyday by all these African people that I should be married by now. They can't understand that in our culture people actually have other goals than getting married at 16 and 'producing' 10 children! Not that God doesn't have that for some people I guess, but I am just thankful I have had this time after college on my own. I am learning things I would have never learned if I had gotten married. Like how to take care of cars in the African bush :) We've got all the time in the world to get married, never again will we be able to take off an travel like we can now or not cook supper if we don't feel like it! Thanks for your soap box... I enjoy checking your blog.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As everyone responds with a statement like, "I am so glad I am not married. Not that there is anything wrong with that" strongly reminds me of the Seinfeild episode of the frequently quoted, "I'm not gay! Not that there is anything wrong with that."

All that to say, I am with you, Bethany. There are pros and cons to everything but the key is appreciating where you are.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Melissa, that was my point...not to be on a bandwagon about how being single is great or not...but that I am happy right now where I am, and hope to have peace in whatever comes in the future...

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Beth, such wisdom =)

Our satisfaction as human beings comes only when we realize the great purpose of our lives: to glorify and commune with God. This is what will fill us with a sense of completeness. I think if we do not discover this and find ourselves able to say to our Creator, "Lord, you are everything to me; I need no other," we will never find fulfillment, whether we marry or not.

I am glad you have discovered this peace, and pray that you will continue to grow in your love with The Bridegroom and be united always to Him. As you know, St. Paul has quite a bit to say on the matter, and he is of the opinion that a single person is better equipped to pray and serve God because he does not have his attention divided. But God also gives us the great Mystery of Marriage, designed as a tool and a means of understanding Himself, as a way to see the Unity of the Trinity and the ceaselessly flowing love between the distinct Persons. When we understand this as the purpose of marriage (to understand the love of God) rather than the common understanding in our culture that getting married or having children in and of itself will bring us happiness or make us "normal", I think we will discover that it really doesn't make much of a difference which gift the Lord gives us: marriage or singleness. They are both gifts of God, and we must learn, as you have, that they are both gifts, and not complain about which one He decides to give us.

Enough rambling...prayers to you.
Katie Lewis

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring it, My Lum. I am a firm believer in not waiting for "the next thing" for life to really start. Life is always meant to be abundant with our Jesus, even if it involves loneliness at times. I love you and who you are right now.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home