Thursday, May 26

la coiffeuse

Yesterday I decided that it was finally time to go get a haircut. The last one I got was in Turkey back at the beginning of January, so you could say that I was long overdue...but you would have put if off too if you could see some of the crazy ways people wear their hair here! It is hard to tell where it starts, do these people go in thinking they would look good with one of the mullets advertised in the window, or are there just shops that give everyone the same terrible style no matter what you ask for? Okay, back to my story...so I decided to face the challenge and go to a place in my neighborhood. I called a friend to brush up on my haircutting vocabulary and set out to the "Mega Coiffure" down the road. I told the lady, in French, that I wanted a few layers...some around my face, and some around the bottom to add volume...she seemed to understand...but instead of "a few layers" she decided what I wanted was about 87 layers around my face, accomplished by pulling out the front of my hair and cutting it at a diagonal line all the way down...not exactly anything like I said. After she finished giving me the worst haircut I can remember, she asked if I wanted her to style it for me...I said "no thanks, I live close and will fix it at home", which she to took to mean that I wanted her to fix it with a big round brush and lots of hair products (which ironically looked very similar to a picture on the wall of a lady from about 1984). Oh well, it keeps things interesting around here and at least I didn't get a mullet...though now I am officially a victim of the French coiffuse, thankfully hair grows back :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh... pauvre Bethany! While in Paris I longed to visit la coiffeur across the street from us, but now I'm glad I didn't. Seriously though, I am sure with your skills, you and Anna can fix it up nicely. But until then, show us a picture!
love,
Rachel

2:05 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

not going to happen :)

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we will not be content, nor rest, until we see a picture. If nothing else, Josh will be there in a few days and do the deed for us. . . .

seth

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm mean REALLY B, if YOU gonna bring it up, you GOTTA show a picture. And, to relate to your pain, I have been a victim of a bad China haircut more than once.

--Kelly K

12:24 AM  
Blogger Jerod said...

today, i'm getting a massage at your old work. it's going to be so good.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Curt Hampton said...

Thanks for the stinkin great laugh. i've had a similar experiance here in my little Asian city. I think its worse for you, by far since you are a lady. So sorry. Way to take it like trooper though and just chalk it up to a funny post and a french experiance. I would love to see pics of this coiff...

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, no pictures Huh!!. Guess I'll just have to talk to my sister (yoh momma) to take a few while they're there this week and send 'em back to me. Then I can pass 'em out over the internet.

Your Uncle o~\o

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home